PROJECT MANAGEMENT TIPS: 3 MUST HAVE STEPS TO BE AN AWESOME LEADER!
One of your new year goals may be to enhance your leadership skills to lead your project team. Based on many leadership books, research and our experience, we offer some guidance below on the key steps to become a good leader:
(1) Connecting with your team: As the sayings go, “People do not care how much you know until they know how much you care” and “Leaders touch a heart before they ask for a hand”! Connecting with people starts by knowing and caring for them. As such, you should invest time and hearts to connect to your team, e.g. through open communication during 1-on-1 sessions, lunches or tea breaks. Your actions also speak louder than words, so act with integrity and do what you say!
(2) Performing: Once connection begins to take place, setting the vision and getting the team to work to common goals are critical for success. The ability to communicate and share the vision with others is key to lead team to greater heights.
In this stage, the leaders continue to work with teams towards the vision, goals and success. Important leadership characteristics include:
- Having a “servant leadership” mind set. As your teams may consist of knowledge workers from different background, the leaders need to be able to work with the team to bring the strengths out from each individual and achieve synergy among them. Directive, top down or micro-manage leadership styles cannot work well with the knowledge workers.
- Ability to drive, inspire and embrace change and continuous improvement. The team may face some obstacles or changes, the leaders need to be able to embrace the changes, communicate, and inspire others to overcome these challenges.
- Other key characteristics include strong communication and active listening skills, focus on developing people, confidence and trust in your teams, regular use of reflective periods to think and learn, and having fun and be energized!
(3) Developing: In this stage, the leaders continue to work with team to develop them towards their career and life goals. Successful development and engagement over a period of time would create long term relationship between the leaders and teams!
In addition, we are having the 2-day courses on the “Project Leadership and Stakeholder Management (14 PDUs)” to elaborate and practice on the key stages above. Feel free to drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org for enquiries.
CareerGrowth™ has extensive project management knowledge and experience to assist you and your team to deliver better project outcomes! This includes our comprehensive “Project Management Training Modules”, “Effective Coaching™” programs, and “Consulting” services from our experienced trainers, coaches, and consultants to guide and assist your organization to achieve the next performance levels!
Check out our interactive and fun PROJECT MANAGEMENT & AGILE Certification Courses;
PMI-PMP® Boot Camp – PMBOK®Guide 6th Edition (4 days, 36 PDUs) Project Management Professional Certification
PMI-RMP®Boot Camp – PMBOK®6th Edition (4 days, 32 PDUs) Risk Management Professional Certification
Professional Scrum Master (PSM®) – (4 days, 32 PDUs) Assessment I, II (Based on Scrum.org)
Professional Scrum Product Owner (PSPO®) – (4 days, 32 PDUs) Assessment I, II (Based on Scrum.org)
PMI-ACP® Boot Camp – PMBOK® 6th Edition (4 days, 32 PDUs) Agile Certified Practitioner Certification
List of short Project Management Modules – starting from foundation level to advance level